China 11 project
Strengthen haemophilia care in Shandong province and Tibet autonomous region
Shandong Hemophilia Treatment Center
Dr Xinsheng Zhang
2.5 years, Q2 2021 – Q3 2023
- 5 new haemophilia treatment centres strengthened in Shandong province, reducing the travel distance up to 6 hours (both ways) for people with haemophilia living in e.g. Linyi, who before the project had to travel by car to Jining for care. Through this project physiotherapists, nurses, doctors and lab technicians were trained in each of the 5 centres.
- Multidisciplinary care strengthened in Tibet autonomous region through training executed by the team from Shandong province, who travelled to Lhasa. 2 physiotherapists, 2 nurses, 5 doctors and 2 lab technicians trained, reducing the travel time up to 80 hours (both ways) by car or 2 hours by plane from Lhasa to Chengdu in Sichuan province.
- Online awareness raising sessions organised in both Shandong province and in Tibet autonomous region for a total of 130 doctors, 107 nurses and 53 lab technicians to be aware of haemophilia symptoms and refer for diagnosis.
- In Shandong province, a total of 636 new cases of haemophilia were diagnosed, leading to a 21% increase in diagnosis.
- In Tibet autonomous region, 30 new people with haemophilia were diagnosed, increasing the diagnosis rate by 150%.
- 235 people with haemophilia and 163 family members trained on better management of haemophilia, focusing on musculoskeletal care and self-infusion training, ensuring an increase from 60% of people with haemophilia on home treatment in 2021 to 80% in 2023.
- Establish 5 haemophilia treatment centres, improving the organisation and delivery of care in Shandong province
- Strengthen basic multidisciplinary care in Tibet autonomous region
- Empower people with bleeding disorders and their family members and increase their self-care knowledge
- Create awareness of bleeding disorders amongst healthcare professionals, patient community, public and authorities